Saturday, July 03, 2010

Firecracker Recipe



No... Not those  kind of firecrackers!
I'm a big fan of Alton Brown's Firecracker Carrots recipe. while not hugely complicated, it is some effort. I recently discovered another way to pickle carrots. I used an 80 ounce jar of Claussen's kosher dill pickle spears! After finishing the spears, I added two-thirds of a pound of mini-carrots to the leftover brine. Additionally, I added the brine from some store-bought "spicy" pickles which were amped up mostly by adding horseradish and dried chilies to their brine. We had a third of a cup of sliced jalapeños with juice leftover in the fridge, so I added that as well! I put the Claussen pickle jar of carrots with the amped up brine back in the fridge for a week and I have to say I'm pleased with the result.

The carrots still have a bit of crunch and the jalapeños and horseradish lend a pleasant burn to the experience.

Recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment