Recipe: Aussie Bites
On a recent shopping trip to Sam’s Club I discovered Aussie Bites. These are small cakes (mini-muffin size actually) made with whole wheat flour, coconut, sunflower kernels, dried cranberries and raisins. The whole family liked them and She Who Must Be Obeyed remembered she had seen a recipe for something similar called Anzac Biscuits. Using the Anzac recipe and the ingredient list from the Aussie Bites I have worked up a recipe that is reported to be better that the original Aussie Bites.
Here ya go:
Ingredients:2 cups Regular or Toasted Oats
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2/3 cup Brown sugar
1 3½oz can of coconut (unsweetened)
½ cup sunflower kernels
1 cup dried fruit (raisins, dates, figs, cranberries, etc)
¼ cup honey
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoon hot water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix first six ingredients in a bowl.
3. Melt honey and butter together in microwave.
4. Mix baking soda with hot water and add to butter mixture.
5. Pour butter mixture into dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Place tablespoons of mixture into non-stick mini-muffin cupcake pans (greasing pans not required) and flatten mixture slightly. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden. Cool on wire racks. Makes around 30 biscuits.
Rule of Acquisition #101: Never do something you can make someone do for you.